What You Need to Know to Unlock Your Full Potential
Author: John Mattone
Pub Date: April 2013
Print Edition: $21.95
Print ISBN: 9780814439371
Page Count: 256
Format: Paper or Softback
e-Book ISBN: 9780814432389
Buy the book:
Intelligent Decision Making
Seven Elements to Guide Leaders through Challenging Decisions
Making decisions—it’s a task business leaders at all levels handle on a daily, if not hourly, basis. Yet, when dealing with incomplete or contradictory information, time constraints, or the pressure of knowing that whatever they decide will have a huge impact, decision making is far from routine and can be challenging for even seasoned, top-level leaders. “Possessing the ability to make wise decisions quickly in the context of the organization’s culture is a crucial skill,” affirms John Mattone, a leading expert on developing current and future leaders. In his new book, INTELLIGENT LEADERSHIP (AMACOM, March 28, 2013), Mattone breaks down great decision making into seven elements, backed by specific behaviors:
1. Using your head to make rational decisions. Collecting, analyzing, and utilizing accurate data from multiple relevant sources and objectively assessing the impact of the alternative decisions.
2. Using your heart by listening to yourself. Making decisions that will have wide acceptance and that are aligned with the core values of the organization.
3. Using your gut by trusting your instincts. Having a trustworthy gut that instinctively knows the right course of action and being able to effectively remove obstacles that might impede its implementation.
4. Making wise decisions by integrating your head, heart, and gut. Having clear access to your head, heart, and gut so that the decision made will stand the test of scrutiny and time.
5. Understanding the organizational culture. Knowing, respecting, and—in most cases—honoring the organization’s expectations regarding how decisions are best made and executed.
6. Honoring the organization’s decision-making authority structure. Fully understanding and utilizing the decision-making lines of authority as well as delegating decision making when appropriate and effective.
7. Factoring in the context of the decision. Effectively balancing the situation’s many factors—for example, time urgency, risk level, and strategic priorities—into the final decision.
Adapted from INTELLIGENT LEADERSHIP: What You Need to Know to Unlock Your Full Potential by John Mattone (AMACOM; March 28, 2013; $27.95 Hardcover; ISBN: 978-0-8144-3237-2).
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org