The Inspiration Code
How the Best Leaders Energize People Every Day
Author: Kristi Hedges
Pub Date: June 2017
Print Edition: $24.95
Print ISBN: 9780814437896
Page Count: 288
e-Book ISBN: 9780814437902
Buy the book:
A spark is all it takes to inspire: the boss who tells you that he recognizes your potential; the colleague who truly listens to your ideas and concerns; the manager who communicates with a mixture of authenticity and vulnerability. These conversations and genuine connections galvanize people to achieve more than they thought possible, and drive organizations to new heights. More than any other trait, the ability to communicate in a way that inspires lies at the heart of great leadership.
Filled with profound insights and compelling data, The Inspiration Code explores how communication and leadership interlink. Based on findings from a commissioned survey on who and what inspires people, analysis of published research, and her own extensive work as a communications expert and executive coach, author Kristi Hedges uncovers a set of consistent, learnable behaviors that dramatically enhance leadership success. As Hedges notes, it’s these behaviors that comprise the four essential qualities that inspiring leaders share. They are:
• Present: investing their attention carefully and guiding the flow of conversations
• Personal: speaking genuinely, listening generously, and bringing out the potential of those around them
• Passionate: exhibiting sincere emotion and exuding energy attuned to the situation
• Purposeful: helping others find meaning and see their place in the bigger picture
Though each quality may seem intuitive, Hedges reveals why most people fall short, including common myths that get in the way of inspiring leadership. The book’s concepts, strategies, and examples help you:
• Stay focused despite pressure and distractions
• Open your mind to alternative viewpoints
• Project authenticity, even to large groups
• Encourage people to use their strengths and excel
• Invest in others by listening intently
• Energize people with the right amount of passion
• Communicate empathy and appeal to emotions
• Show conviction using both verbal and nonverbal cues
• Rally people around a mission that’s greater than profits
• Be courageous in your words and choices
• And more
If we want inspired companies, then we need inspirational leaders, Hedges notes. We need leaders whose conversations bring out the best in people, whether they’re managing teams, presenting to a board, recruiting employees, communicating a vision via webcast, or exchanging ideas over lunch.
Intimate and psychologically astute, yet geared to workplace situations and goals, The Inspiration Code awakens you to the power of speaking and listening, challenges you to rethink assumptions, and coaches you in the art of intentional, connected conversations that lift everyone higher.
Kristi Hedges is a leadership coach specializing in executive communications. Her clients span the Fortune 500, government, nonprofits, and privately held businesses. An in-demand speaker, she writes for Forbes.com, and has been featured in The Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Huffington Post, and on CNBC, BBC, and more. She is the author of The Power of Presence.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org