The Little Book of Leadership Development
50 Ways to Bring Out the Leader in Every Employee
Authors: Scott J. Allen, Mitchell Kusy
Pub Date: May 2011
Print Edition: $19.95
Print ISBN: 9780814437834
Page Count: 144
Format: Paper or Softback
e-Book ISBN: 9780814417577
Buy the book:
Leadership development doesn’t have to be difficult or dull. With The Little Book of Leadership Development, bringing out the best in people is a continuous, easy-to-apply process.
Now you can cultivate the leadership capacity of every member on your team with these simple yet powerful tips for getting people to really want to work at their peak potential. The Little Book of Leadership Development goes straight to the heart of great leadership as it uncovers 50 strategies you can apply on a daily basis, including how to:
• Clarify your expectations of the team, and help them develop goals as a group —the groundwork for gaining commitment
• Recognize and reward achievement with creative nonmonetary rewards—and engage team members
• Model effective confrontation—often bypassing your default mode and intentionally choosing a style that works better
• Keep everyone in the loop about organizational news, strategic plans, and (especially) bad news—before they hear it from the grapevine
• Facilitate a culture of accountability—one in which team members are also held accountable to each other, and you to them
• Stretch your team—taking their skills and experiences to the next level by offering challenging assignments
• Stay focused on solutions, not barriers—and develop a culture where complaining becomes the impetus for solving problems
Managers with the ability to self-reflect and willingness to implement these positive, potent ideas will see quick improvements—in communication, efficiency, morale, and other measures that point to a thriving, committed team of emerging leaders.
Scott J. Allen, Ph.D., is assistant professor of management at John Carroll University and co-author of Emotionally Intelligent Leadership. He has published numerous articles in major leadership journals, and he blogs, consults, and facilitates workshops on leadership.
Mitchell Kusy, Ph.D., is an international organization development consultant, 2005 Fulbright Scholar, and full professor in the Ph.D. Program in Leadership & Change at Antioch University. He is the co-author of Toxic Workplace!, Breaking the Code of Silence, Manager’s Desktop Consultant, and Fast Forward Leadership.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org