How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life
Author: Brian Tracy
Pub Date: January 2009
Print Edition: $14.95
Print ISBN: 9780814437544
Page Count: 224
Format: Paper or Softback
e-Book ISBN: 9780814413470
Buy the book:
How to Get the Job You Want—in Any Economy
Tips that Really Work from Success Expert Brian Tracy
- Take Control of Your Career. The average person starting work today will have 11 full-time jobs and as many as five different careers over the course of his or her lifetime. To weather the storms of lifelong career change, you must be proactive, not reactive. Begin by seeing yourself as self-employed. See yourself as the president of a company with one employee: yourself. See yourself as having one product to sell in a competitive marketplace: your personal services. You are completely responsible for research and development. No matter who signs your paycheck, you are always on your own payroll. This attitude is the starting point of getting the job you want for the rest of your career.
- Take Stock of Yourself. Before you go out and look for a job, look deeply into yourself. Make a list of all the things you can do that someone would be willing to pay for. What have you done especially well at your various jobs in the past? What sort of activities in your work and your personal life do you most enjoy? The good news is that you will always do the very best at something that makes you the happiest. To help yourself follow the right career track, describe your ideal job. The greater clarity you have about exactly what it is you want to do and how much you want to earn, the easier it is for someone to hire you.
- Understand the Job Market. All labor, including your own, is subject to the economic law of supply and demand. You can only ensure a rewarding job by doing something important for which there is a demand in the marketplace and in which you are difficult to replace. A change in technology, consumer preferences, or the economy can make a particular talent or specialty obsolete almost overnight. You must continually upgrade your knowledge and skills and adjust your efforts so that they conform to the needs of the current job market. In a free society such as ours, everybody works on commission!
- Don’t Mistake Unemployment for a Vacation. Look at your job search as a full-time job, taking 40 to 50 hours a week. Get up and get dressed each weekday morning as if you were going to work, eat a light, high-energy breakfast, and then get going. Looking good and staying productive not only improves your attitude, but also impresses other people, both those inside your own house and those on the outside. Remember, you should never see yourself as unemployed. You are a fully employed person in a temporary state of transition.
- Sow Seeds Everywhere. Most of the jobs available are not advertised. They are hidden and waiting for you to discover them. Along with regularly surfing Internet job sites, be sure to list your qualifications and interests on every site that might attract employers seeking someone like you. Visit community job fairs and talk to exhibitors. Keep an eye out for news of new product releases and then seek out key people in the company. A business expansion represents job opportunities. Gather information about a prominent individual in an organization you would like to work for. Ask that person, by phone, e-mail, or in a letter, to grant you a ten-minute informational interview. Almost invariably, your interest, knowledge, and gratitude will pay off in a job offer.
Adapted from REINVENTION: How to Make the Rest of Your Life the Best of Your Life by Brian Tracy (AMACOM 2009).
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org