Simple Lessons in Selling the Way Your Customers Buys
Authors: Michael Wilkinson, Richard Smith, Tierah Chorba, Lynn Sokler
Pub Date: July 2009
Print Edition: $15.95
Print ISBN: 9780814436523
Page Count: 158
Format: Paper or Softback
e-Book ISBN: 9780814415283
Buy the book:
Does this constellation of characters sound familiar? One of your customers is willing to meet with you—again and again—yet never buys and doesn’t tell you why. Another relentlessly questions your data and brushes off your pleasantries. Yet another is upbeat and fun but has a talent for always bringing the conversation back to himself. And one is brusque, impatient, and wants everything boiled down to a short series of bullets, no matter how complex the information.
If you’re selling to all these people in a single style that you’ve perfected over the years, be aware that you are probably losing a great deal of potential business. But tailor your approach to best suit each client’s buying style, and your success rate can immediately and dramatically improve.
Buying Styles shows you how people buy differently and gives you tips and scripts for easily modifying your sales message to best match individual buying preferences. And it does so in a brief, easy-to-read format, with no jargon or unnecessary complexity. The book includes a set of conversations between a group of salespeople and a facilitator that keeps you actively involved by “hearing” the material and “seeing” the characters react and respond. You’ll quickly master Buying Styles’ techniques, including how to:
● Recognize the behaviors associated with each of the four main buying styles: high-D (drive or dominance), high-I (influence), high-S (steadiness), and high-C (compliance)
● Look for clues that tell you how your clients like to buy, and quickly understand what they mean
● Know which tactic to take with each client, whether it’s to get straight to the point, flood him with data, ask questions to let her sell herself, or keep your pitch personal and unhurried
● Escape the common trap of selling the way you like to be sold to, and tailor your approach to match your customer’s buying style
● Be aware of the natural strengths and weaknesses of your selling style, and how it can harmonize or clash with other people’s styles
● Assess the buying styles of your current customer base—as well as your own style and those of your sales team—and develop new strategies for more effectively selling to each
Don’t lose another big contract or important sale because you can’t quite connect with your customer. This insightful book uncovers the selling dos and don’ts for every buying style—so you can deliver a powerful, tailored sales approach that brings maximum results.
Michael Wilkinson is the CEO of Leadership Strategies—The Facilitation Company, a strategic consulting and training firm. He is the author of The Secrets of Facilitation and The Secrets to Masterful Meetings, and is a much sought-after speaker, trainer, and facilitator.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org