When Kids Call the Shots
How to Seize Control from Your Darling Bully -- and Enjoy Being a Parent Again
Author: Sean Grover
Pub Date: June 2015
Print Edition: $15.00
Print ISBN: 9780814436004
Page Count: 224
Format: Paper or Softback
e-Book ISBN: 9780814436011
Buy the book:
Back Cover Copy
If you’ve picked up this book, you’re probably at your tipping point. Behavior that used to seem excusable—he’s just spirited; she’s a little lawyer—has become a huge source of stress in your life.
But parenting doesn’t have to be this hard. When Kids Call the Shots opens your eyes to the root cause of your child's bossy behavior, with a liberating message and perceptive advice that puts your family on a healthier, happier path. With this sanity-saving book, you’ll:
• Recognize the three most common bullying styles that our kids use against us—anxious, defiant, and manipulative—and learn strategies to restore your leadership
• Understand how your own insecurities and personal history have shaped your parenting choices
• Discover the three parenting styles—guilt-prone, anxiety-fueled, and fix-everything—that are most likely to provoke disruptive behavior in children
• See how troubling behaviors are often triggered by conflicts between your child’s personality and your parenting style
• Be alert to the critical “testing” periods in children’s development that fuel conflicts with their parents
• See how increasing self-care and eliminating burnout can strengthen your parental leadership role
• Know exactly what to do when your child acts out
• Reclaim your parent power, and bring back the joys of family life
“Inspired and practical thinking by one of the finest therapists in the field.” —Julie Y. Low, MD, Board-Certified Child & Adolescent NYU Faculty
“Masterful lessons in the delicate art of parenting.” —Marianne Pearl, author of A Mighty Heart and In Search of Hope
“Sage advice that parents will be able to use immediately.” —Jean Kunhardt, MA, LMHC, Director, Soho Parenting
Sean Grover, LCSW, is a psychotherapist with 20 years’ experience working with adults and children, and he maintains one of the largest private group therapy practices in the United States. He has designed award-winning youth programs and has been quoted in Newsweek, New York Magazine, NPR, and elsewhere about parent-child relationships. For information on parenting workshops, articles, and videos, or to contact Sean, visit www.seangrover.com.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org