The New Face of Networking in a Collaborative World
Authors: Anne Baber, Lynne Waymon, Andre Alphonso, Jim Wylde
Pub Date: January 2015
Print Edition: $21.95
Print ISBN: 9780814434963
Page Count: 256
e-Book ISBN: 9780814434970
Buy the book:
Are you optimizing all of your contacts, connections, and relationships? Are your networks simultaneously powering your business's bottom line and your own career trajectory? All this is possible in a "Network-Oriented Workplace," where connections and collaboration go hand in hand with your company's growth--and your success.
Strategic Connections dispels the mistaken notion that networking involves "taking advantage" of others. The authors have spent nearly 25 years training professionals and organizations in the art of face-to-face networking, which is the heart of all real collaboration. In this book, you'll discover how to gain a deeper understanding of the knowledge and influence of each person you interact with--and create authentic and productive professional relationships.
You'll learn eight must-have skills for developing strategic connections, the foundations on which these powerful interactions are built. Strategic Connections will show you how to:
* Expand and strengthen your authentic networker identity.
* Make even random conversations count, be purposefully selective in the networking groups you join, and create a strategic road map for networking success.
* Envision and create your ideal network. Learn how to construct the four "Nets" that will organize and optimize your current connections while you add new ones.
* Develop trusting relationships. Learn how to prove your trustworthiness, and how to determine which "stage of trust" you've reached with any contact.
* Increase your social acumen--with tried-and-true methods for remembering names, avoiding awkward moments, boosting your likeability, and more.
* Deepen interactions. Discover how to listen for the right things, use questions to move a relationship forward, position yourself as a "go-to" person, and use a variety of techniques for following up to make relationships even more valuable.
* Communicate expertise. Use storytelling to answer the all-important "what do you do" question in a way that makes you more visible and memorable.
* Create new value. Learn how to apply the tools of networking to make yourself indispensable to your organization and advance your career.
And, for anyone managing a team, Strategic Connections concludes with a practical overview of how to continue developing and supporting a Network-Oriented Workplace as it grows.
This book is packed with examples, sidebars, suggested readings and a host of other powerful tools that will help you propel your career onward and upward--while you transform your organization for the better as well!
The authors are collaborators at Contacts Count LLC, an international training and consulting firm, founded by Anne Baber and Lynne Waymon in 1990, that specializes in business networking. Baber and Waymon are the coauthors of Make Your Contacts Count. André Alphonso manages Contacts Count's business in Australia, India, and Asia. He has more than 30 years of business and consulting experience, and specializes in training and organizational development. Jim Wylde is an organizational development specialist, a leadership coach, an experienced facilitator, and a Certified Contacts Count Trainer, working with both U.S. and international audiences.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org