The Six Megatrends You Need to Understand to Lead Your Company into the Future
Authors: Georg Vielmetter, Yvonne Sell
Pub Date: February 2014
Print Edition: $27.95
Print ISBN: 9780814432754
Page Count: 240
e-Book ISBN: 9780814432761
Buy the book:
Back Cover Copy
Massive global forces will reshape your business by the year 2030. Formidable competition from China, environmental pressures, talent wars, and technological leaps will divide the short-term thinkers from the prudent few looking for long-range opportunities. This book gives you a sophisticated futuring team of your own.
Drawn from research conducted by Hay Group, a global management consultancy, and Z_punkt, an international leader in strategic foresight analysis, Leadership 2030 pinpoints six converging megatrends, and provides direction for leading your organization through profound change:
1. Globalization 2.0: Asia is in economic ascent, with China and others adding vast numbers of middle-class consumers and excluding Western firms from intraregional trade. Strategic leaders will tap into these expanding markets—thinking and acting locally, forging alliances—and compete with powerful challengers.
2. Environmental crisis: Critical natural resources grow scarce and climate change more threatening. Creative leaders will balance rising costs with social imperatives to cut their carbon footprint.
3. Individualization and value pluralism: Customers and employees expect attention to their individual needs, dismissing the concept of loyalty. Attuned leaders will create opportunities for customized offerings and build enduring relationships with diverse employees.
4. The digital era: Young digital natives conflate working and personal lives and demand unprecedented transparency. Wise leaders will act with integrity—or jeopardize their reputations.
5. Demographic change: A rapidly aging population sparks full-scale battles for talent. Sensitive leaders will build multigenerational workplaces and manage their competing demands.
6. Technological convergence: Nanotechnology and biotechnology merge, creating a massive wave of technological advances. Collaborative leaders will tap into new product markets and forge links with competitors to work on complex R&D programs.
These six megatrends should not be seen in isolation, but as an economic and social matrix impacting every organization—from multinationals trying to stay competitive as customers and capital shift East…to mid-sized companies trying to carve out sustainable niche markets…to tiny startups trying to attract talented people.
To guide their organizations through this massive change, leaders will need to shift from being egocentric to being altrocentric, with a wide range of competencies and a focus on the great diversity of employees and consumers that will be facing them.
Thought-provoking analyses assess the transformative effects of the megatrends on leaders and their organizations. Case studies, examples, interviews, and data drive home the evidence. Fictional profiles clarify the effects each megatrend has on decision-making processes. Together, they make Leadership 2030 your most sweeping, nuanced guide to the monumental challenges ahead.
Georg Vielmetter, Ph.D., is a member of Hay Group’s European Leadership Team and the regional director–Europe of Hay Group’s Leadership and Talent Practice. He works with executives and top teams on leadership transformation, and he also publishes and speaks on these topics. He is an alumnus of the German National Academic Foundation, and a member of the German Sociological Association as well as of the German Society for Philosophy.
Yvonne Sell, Ph.D., is the director of Leadership and Talent–UK & Ireland for Hay Group where, as part of driving the leadership and talent practice, she regularly provides press commentary and conference presentations on a wide range of leadership issues. She also works with Daniel Goleman and Richard Boyatzis on researching emotional intelligence. .
Twenty years ago, the Internet was not yet commercialized. Desktop computers were the hot new tools. China was an isolated country that exported trinkets.
Today, connectivity to customers, suppliers, and workers scattered across the globe is ubiquitous. Economic troubles in one region lash the others. China is on the brink of overtaking the United States as the world’s largest economy.
And tomorrow? Are you ready to steer your organization through the next tumultuous era of complexity and change? Are you developing the skills, capabilities, and attitudes required of leaders in the decades ahead?
Leadership 2030 provides a detailed, wide-ranging picture of the most dramatic megatrends now reshaping organizations and impacting markets, cultures, systems, and processes. Informed by foresight analysis, case studies, original research, extensive conversations, and the leadership findings gathered by the international Hay Group, Leadership 2030 brings clarity to the global challenges ahead:
• Economic power is shifting to Asia, creating fearsome competition.
• Demographic pressures are escalating the war for talent.
• Deteriorating environmental conditions are putting financial stressors on organizations.
• Freedom of choice is eroding loyalty.
• Boundaries are blurring between private and working lives.
• Nanotechnology and biotechnology are merging, triggering the sharpest tech shift in history.
Leadership 2030 ties together the interlocking effects of each megatrend on the business environment, highlighting new strategies and new leadership skills required to survive. In the rush to produce quarterly profits in chaotic conditions, the longer view is often obscured. This expansive, forward-thinking book helps businesses everywhere prepare for the seismic changes taking shape on the horizon.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org