Inside the Women's Power Circles That Are Changing the Face of Business
Author: Pamela Ryckman
Pub Date: May 2013
Print Edition: $22.95
Print ISBN: 9780814432532
Page Count: 272
e-Book ISBN: 9780814432549
Buy the book:
Creating Your Own Stiletto Network
Six Startup Tips
It’s the new women’s movement—and it’s sweeping the nation. Successful and motivated women are forming salons, organizing dinners, and meeting over cocktails with a purpose: supporting and advancing women. The first journalist to identify and name this pro-female revolution, Pamela Ryckman believes more women should be banding together and backing each other. In her new book, STILETTO NETWORK, she shares tips for starting your own girl power group:
• Start now! You don’t need to be famous or well-established to create a Stiletto Network. “When women unite early in their careers,” Ryckman attests, “they’re more likely to steer each other toward promotions and opportunities, counsel each other through difficulties, and ultimately become powerful—together.”
• Think diversity. Stiletto Networks shouldn’t be cabals for best buddies—or gripe sessions for fellow employees. The most effective groups draw women with diverse skills from a variety of industries. They introduce women who might not otherwise meet, expand their horizons, and increase their spheres of influence.
• Filter for relevance and shared experience. To gel as a group, diverse women need to have some shared traits and common touch points, whether related to age or level of expertise. “Similar experiences allow women to quickly build the bonds of trust and loyalty at the heart of these networks,” Ryckman observes.
• Believe in the magic. Stiletto Networks don’t need a specific goal or agenda at the onset. They need only bring together women with shared values and ethics, women who are open to aiding others. “If you get dynamic ladies talking or walking or drinking, exciting things will happen,” Ryckman assures.
• Strike a balance between personal and professional. Stiletto Networks should address the career-building needs of their members, yet still retain the fun. To achieve the right mix of purposefulness and pleasure, consider appointing a different woman to lead each meeting. Or bringing in guest speakers.
• Have courage, give courage. Stiletto Networks push members to pursue their passions. Members should help each other script difficult conversations, encourage each other to take risks, and shouldn’t be afraid to disagree. “We all need friends who tell us hard truths,” notes Ryckman, “but do it with kindness.”
Adapted from STILETTO NETWORK: Inside the Women’s Power Circles That Are Changing the Face of Business by Pamela Ryckman
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org