The Facility Management Handbook
Authors: Kathy O. Roper, CFM, LEED AP, Richard P. Payant, CFM, CPE
Pub Date: July 2014
Print Edition: $79.95
Print ISBN: 9780814432150
Page Count: 688
Edition: Fourth Edition
e-Book ISBN: 9780814432167
Buy the book:
Technical mastery of operations and maintenance is just the beginning. Today, you've got to be a skilled communicator, a budgeting wiz, an effective manager, and a sustainability expert. You need to be as conversant in how to upgrade the electrical systems as how to prepare a 10-year recapitalization plan.
It is a complex, multifaceted, and sometimes overwhelming role. That's why thousands of managers have relied on The Facility Management Handbook to help them master their evolving and expanding responsibilities. This award-winning resource captures the key developments in the field, and imparts the skills and knowledge needed to thrive as both technical professional and business leader.
Covering new technologies, trends, challenges, and strategies, the book uncovers the "big twelve" actions needed to manage facilities and departments successfully, followed by practical guidelines for providing essential services, including:
* Organizing the Department: Develop the optimal mix of staff, consultants, and contractors for your department and facility.
* Planning, Programming, and Budgeting: Plan proactively, weighing strategic goals and anticipated costs and expenditures.
* Sustainability: Spearhead a sustainability program that supports organizational priorities, achieves savings, and enhances prestige.
* The Design-Build Cycle: Manage a project through its entire life cycle, whether you're developing a new site or altering an existing space.
* Facility Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity: Reduce vulnerability to hazards and disasters, and ensure that core business functions remain viable.
* Operations and Maintenance: Improve the effectiveness and cost efficiency of the day-to-day maintenance of your facility.
* Facility Management Practice: Embrace best practices in outsourcing, benchmarking, procurement, communications, leadership, and more.
Throughout, you'll find updated information on using building commissioning, employing energy management and conservation practices, managing diverse workforces, maximizing technology, dealing with aging buildings and infrastructure, ensuring financial accountability, meeting sustainability requirements, and inspiring people to action.
The Facility Management Handbook balances in-depth guidelines on the fundamentals with a sweeping overview of new developments. It's the go-to reference for busy facility management professionals in search of authoritative, real-life answers.
Kathy O. Roper, CFM, LEED AP, IFMA Fellow, is associate professor in the Georgia Tech School of Building Construction and serves as director of the Master of Science program's Integrated Facility Management track. She is cofounder and coeditor of the International Journal of Facility Management, as well as coauthor of the third edition of The Facility Management Handbook. An International Facility Management Association Certified Facility Manager, she was awarded an IFMA Fellow, the association's highest recognition of service and lifetime achievement.
Richard P. Payant, DBA, CFM, CPE, CHS, LEED GREEN ASSOCIATE served as director of Facilities Management at Georgetown University for 22 years. He is the coauthor of the previous edition of The Facility Management Handbook, as well as coauthor of The Facility Manager's Emergency Preparedness Handbook.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org