Into the Storm
Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race
Author: Dennis N.T. Perkins
Pub Date: November 2012
Print Edition: $24.95
Print ISBN: 9780814431986
Page Count: 288
e-Book ISBN: 9780814431603
Buy the book:
What Workplace Teams Can Learn from Ocean Racing
A Metaphor for Success in the Rough Waters of Today’s Business Climate
Forget images of wealthy yacht owners and regattas. Ocean racing is a demanding sport for serious sailors. “The demands placed on a crew of ocean racers are strikingly similar to those faced by any team working to overcome tough challenges,” notes Dennis Perkins, author of INTO THE STORM: Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race (AMACOM 2012). “And I believe that, by understanding the things that make ocean racers successful, we can draw useful insights for a broad range of team challenges.”
To understand why the metaphor of ocean racing applies to any team facing challenges and uncertainty, consider these core characteristics of the sport:
* Ocean racing is a complex team endeavor. Every crew member has a critical job to do. And crew members have to work together, seamlessly, to keep the boat on course.
* Ocean racing is a test of endurance and tenacity involving a journey into the unknown.
* During races of long distance and well offshore, boats must be completely self-sufficient for extended periods of time, capable of withstanding heavy storms, and prepared to handle emergencies.
* Like today’s business environment, ocean racing is characterized by constant change. The weather can be sunny one minute, and gusting with gale force winds the next.
* Ocean racing is competitive, stressful, and anxiety-provoking.
* While there is still a skipper in charge of the boat, leadership can be distributed among other members of the crew.
* A team that fails to execute flawlessly can lose a race. There are winners and losers in the sport.
* Ocean racing requires the courage to take calculated risks.
* Winning an ocean race requires clear vision, a cohesive and committed team, and the ability to learn and adapt.
Adapted from INTO THE STORM: Lessons in Teamwork from the Treacherous Sydney to Hobart Ocean Race by Dennis N.T. Perkins with Jillian B. Murphy (AMACOM 2012).
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org