The Management Training Tool Kit
35 Exercises to Prepare Managers for the Challenges They Face Every Day
Author: Alan Clardy, Ph.D.
Pub Date: June 2012
Print Edition: $34.95
Print ISBN: 9780814431146
Page Count: 240
Format: Paper or Softback
e-Book ISBN: 9780814432242
Buy the book:
Back Cover Copy
Management books are great for giving newcomers an overview of the personnel issues they’ll face. But only training and experience will help them truly prepare for the most complex, emotional aspect of their job: difficult people problems.
The polite consenter who never delivers results, the employee who is upset that a colleague makes more money, the hostile team member who makes life difficult for everyone. These are the kinds of issues that can escalate into serious morale and productivity problems—or worse—without a clear, thoughtful course of action.
Now you can quickly and easily provide your managers with practice before they enter the fray with The Management Training Tool Kit. This essential training guide supplies real-life case studies and analysis exercises for troubleshooting problems. Managers will analyze complex issues from difficult angles, negotiate solutions that are fair and effective, and build their skills in a supportive training environment. These are powerful learning experiences imparted through the book’s unique features:
35 succinct yet nuanced case studies that examine common challenges
• Probing discussion questions that help pinpoint core issues
• Practical solutions that can be put to use resolving problems
• Role-playing exercises that bring the case studies alive
• Guidelines that help trainers lead with skill and accuracy.
More serious and substantial than most training exercises, yet very practical and hands on, the case studies focus on real people problems and leadership challenges that managers grapple with daily, such as how to:
• Get a team to boost productivity—when they’re already working flat-out.
• Recognize when a hug and a pat on the back are more than just friendly gestures.
• Know when to call it quits on an employee, and how to build an air-tight case for termination.
• Know when an employee deserves a warning notice, or just needs more training.
• Figure out what to do when difficult life events affect an employee’s workplace performance.
• Conduct a frank discussion with an upset employee, while avoiding accusation and confrontation.
• Help new hires work effectively with internal candidates who didn’t get the job.
All new managers will face stressful situations and make bad calls on the job. But now they can learn techniques to overcome obstacles with skill and confidence by following the innovative role-playing exercises in The Management Training Tool Kit.
Alan Clardy, Ph.D., is a professor in the Psychology Department and director of the Human Resource Development Graduate Degree Program at Towson University, as well as the author of many books and articles on HR issues. He lives in Towson, Maryland.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org