The Facilitator's Fieldbook
Authors: Tom Justice, David W. Jamieson, Ph.D.
Pub Date: October 2012
Print Edition: $45.00
Print ISBN: 9780814420089
Page Count: 480
Format: Paper or Softback
Edition: Third Edition
e-Book ISBN: 9780814420119
Buy the book:
Back Cover Copy
It may seem effortless, but anyone leading a high-stakes meeting knows what a pressure cooker it can be. Amidst a charged atmosphere and conflicting personalities, facilitators must deftly weave groups into effective workplace teams that achieve results. It takes skill, commitment, and an arsenal of facilitation tools—all here in the complete, authoritative guide to facilitation mastery.
Now completely updated with 150 pages of new material, this third edition of The Facilitator’s Fieldbook gives facilitators, organization development professionals, and consultants both a conceptual framework for understanding the facilitation process and the step-by-step procedures, checklists, worksheets, and sample documents to get it right.
The book delivers practical information on establishing ground rules, planning meetings and agendas, resolving conflict, making decisions, helping groups optimize their time—and every key mediation skill you need to know. You will discover in this third edition:
Character traits of successful facilitators
• Signs of dysfunction in any group dynamic and what to do about each
• Critical distinctions between regular meetings and task forces that facilitators must know
• Preparation guidelines that improve your odds for success
• A training agenda for teaching facilitation
• Meeting room layouts, and when to use each
• Activities for ensuring inclusion and participation
• Nonverbal communication cues that help you spot lies and truths
• Brainstorming and brain writing tips
• Pros and cons of absolute, consultative, expert, and modified consensus
• Guidelines for preparing and presenting recommendations
• Tips for working with virtual teams and using technology to improve facilitation
• Insights into the best contracting practices for facilitators
• Shortcuts for implementing team-building exercises
• Advice and activities for building trust
• Updates on the latest developments, such as appreciative inquiry and large-group methods
• A primer for managers on using facilitative thinking to lead their teams—and much more.
If humans are complex, then groups are significantly more so. This insightful, all-encompassing guide to helping diverse, sometimes fractious, workplace groups reach positive goals is invaluable for newcomers and seasoned professionals alike.
Thomas Justice is President of Justice & Associates, a consulting firm specializing in process facilitation, building high-performance teams, and the management of organizational change. He has served as a process facilitator for more than 30 organizations in 16 states. He lives in Santa Monica, California.
David W. Jamieson, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor and Chair of the Organization, Learning & Development department at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He is also President of Jamieson Consulting Group, which specializes in organizational strategy, design, change, and human resources issues. He lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org