What Great Trainers Do
The Ultimate Guide to Delivering Engaging and Effective Learning
Authors: Robert Bolton, Dorothy Grover Bolton
Pub Date: December 2015
Print Edition: $45.00
Print ISBN: 9780814420065
Page Count: 304
e-Book ISBN: 9780814420072
Buy the book:
Watch a dynamic trainer in action, and the learning feels effortless. Concepts are presented in easy-to-grasp steps, skills are practiced and reviewed, and new behaviors are tested before being applied to the workplace.
But great training is rare. Despite so many talented people in the field, only 10 percent of corporate training leads to on-the-job improvements. Why such discouraging results? Because developing training that sticks is an art form—one that few people have learned.
What Great Trainers Do reveals the proven techniques used by the most successful trainers. Written by a team with years of experience training trainers, the book explains how to fuse content with process to create rich, interactive learning environments. From effectively pacing a workshop to developing visuals to handling group dynamics—the guidelines, worksheets, examples, and research findings break down the practice of superior training into a set of repeatable skills and practices. You’ll learn how to:
• Replace outdated practices (like stand-and-deliver presentations).
• Structure workshops into consistent units, modules, and components—the easiest, most effective way to deliver information.
• Build mastery with repeated practice and coaching sessions.
• Gauge “group process” and know when it’s time to shift gears.
• Incorporate lively activities that engage participants.
• Solidify learning with skillful debriefing sessions.
• Throw out dull scripts and deliver extemporaneous presentations based on easy-to-remember outlines.
• Create flipcharts and PowerPoint slides that enhance, not distract.
• Skillfully handle questions and comments, no matter how off-topic or hostile.
• Use demonstrations to go beyond telling how—to showing how.
• Manage disengaged people or groups, and recognize what drives them.
• Avoid the common training mistakes that can damage reputations.
With $60 billion spent annually on training, trainers who consistently deliver real value—helping trainees learn new skills and adapt to changing situations—get noticed by managers and executives. By decoding the craft of training into a set of best practices to emulate, What Great Trainers Do will help you stand out among the most valuable contributors.
Robert Bolton, Ph.D., and Dorothy Grover Bolton, Ed.M., are known for their expertise in training trainers. They are cofounders of Ridge Associates, a training and consulting firm that serves many Fortune 500 companies, and the authors of several books, including the perennially popular People Styles at Work . . . And Beyond.
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org