The Laws of Charisma
How to Captivate, Inspire, and Influence for Maximum Success
Author: Kurt W. Mortensen
Pub Date: October 2010
Print Edition: $21.95
Print ISBN: 9780814415917
Page Count: 208
e-Book ISBN: 9780814415924
Buy the book:
Eight Core Qualities of Charismatic People
Would you like to become one of those enviable people who captivate and inspire just about everyone they meet? Would you like to dramatically increase your potential for career success? The key to achieving both, and much more, is developing the traits and skills that add up to charisma—the ability to empower and persuade others to want to be influenced by you.
A noted consultant, trainer, speaker, and author who has studied influence and its tools for most of his working life, Kurt W. Mortensen considers charisma “a vital life skill.” In his new book, THE LAWS OF CHARISMA (AMACOM 2010), Mortensen explores the power of charisma and how to harness it. As he shows, charisma has many components, including the following eight core qualities:
• Self-discipline. Charismatic people have willpower. They work on changing their weaknesses and stay committed to controlling their habits, emotions, minds, and bodies.
Charisma key: To develop self-discipline, start by choosing one habit that is holding you back from achieving your objectives. Find your solution and then create a game plan.
• Competence. Charismatic people have comprehensive knowledge and proficiency in their field. They continually learn from their mistakes and keep on top of advancements in their industry.
Charisma key: To develop competence, practice patience. Keep focused and keep learning until you master whatever it takes to be a worthy role model.
• Intuition. Charismatic people follow their instincts. They listen to their inner voice—the voice of their own previous experience and past knowledge—and trust it to guide them.
Charisma key: To master intuition, start by opening your mind to the wisdom inside you. Take time to be alone with your thoughts.
• Purpose. Charismatic people dream big and have a clear sense of direction. They know what they want and have tapped into their inner drive to achieve it.
Charisma key: Look at every obstacle you encounter as a way to get one step closer to fulfilling your purpose. Confront each challenge with optimism and ask, “What do I need to learn?”
• Integrity. Charismatic people demonstrate consistency between their values and their actions. They know exactly what they stand for and let their convictions dictate their decisions. They are honest, sincere, and reliable.
Charisma key: Today (and every day), do what you say you are going to do.
• Courage. Charismatic people face their fears and take risks. They make tough decisions, take full responsibility for the consequences, and keep going even when times are rough.
Charisma key: Choose one fear that is holding you back and face it today. Freedom from the bondage of past experiences is the first step to developing true contagious courage.
• Creativity. Charismatic people are resourceful and imaginative. They seek out and find new solutions to problems. They inspire others to think about possibilities.
Charisma key: To master creativity, you must have access to new information. Branch out and learn from many different industries and sources—including children, who are naturally creative.
• Focus. Charismatic people concentrate their mental energy on clearly defined priorities. They resist distractions and make the best use of their vital time. They don’t confuse being busy with accomplishment.
Charisma key: Gradually build your ability to focus. Start by trying to stay on task for five minutes. Assess how you can limit distractions.
Adapted from THE LAWS OF CHARISMA: How to Captivate, Inspire, and Influence for Maximum Success by Kurt W. Mortensen (AMACOM 2010).
Search the full text of this book
Search Full Text of
For single copy purchases of any AMACOM title, you can connect directly to the online retailer of your choice, from the list below, to buy the title you have selected. Most of our links will take you directly to that title on the site, making your shopping experience easier. You can also visit your local retailer, and if the book is not on their shelves they can special order it for you.
Retailers: Please contact us to change or add a listing.
Buying in Bulk?
We have very competitive discounts starting at 5 copies, as well as personal service, for bulk orders. Simply contact our Special Sales Department. Call 800-250-5308 or 212-903-8420 and ask for Special Sales. You can also email: SpecSlsWeb@amanet.org