Lead Your Boss
The Subtle Art of Managing Up
Author: John Baldoni
Pub Date: October 2009
Your Price: $21.95
Page Count: 240
Are you ready to take the jump from your current role—technical expert or quality producer or people person—to that of highly effective leader who gets noticed and rewarded?
Lead Your Boss will show you how. This invaluable guide helps you cultivate the balanced, cohesive, and passionate leadership style called “managing up.” It’s a style that works from the middle ranks, where leadership often entails influencing your boss, your peers, and those who report to you—all of whom are favorably affected by your commitment and contributions. Managing up, then, is about building those traits that are most admired and appreciated, such as integrity, energy, empathy, resilience, and big-picture thinking—classic leadership traits that propel people from any organizational rank on a fast track upward.
Filled with inspiring stories of people who accomplished great things by employing their skills, energy, and influence for the greater good—Eleanor Roosevelt, Barack Obama, Sir Edmund Hillary, Paul Newman, and others—and packed with practical strategies and useful advice, Lead Your Boss shows you how to:
• Think strategically, challenging yourself and your team to be more innovative
• Cultivate criticism and honest feedback as important components of growth and improvement
• Coach your team in the 3Cs (coordinate, cooperate, and collaborate) of working together in a mutually beneficial way
• Persuade others to listen to your ideas, overcoming obstacles and turning influence into leadership
• Challenge assumptions without challenging the individual above you, and break down often daunting resistance to change
• Exhibit resiliency in the face of adversity, turning setbacks into comebacks
• Put people into positions where they can succeed—then stand aside and let them
As confidence in America’s CEOs continues to slide, it’s time for middle managers and valued teammates to step into positions of leadership. This inspiring book is packed with insights and strategies for rallying everyone around common goals that bring positive results for yourself, your teammates, and your boss—an all-around win!
John Baldoni is an internationally recognized leadership consultant, speaker, and author of many books, including Lead by Example and Great Communication Secrets of Great Leaders. He was named one of the “30 Most Influential Leadership Gurus” for 2007 by www.LeadershipGurus.net. John writes the “Leadership at Work” column for Harvard Business Publishing, which is syndicated by Bloomberg.com. His leadership writings have appeared in BusinessWeek.com and FastCompany.com, and he has been featured or quoted in numerous publications, including the New York Times, USA Today, and Investor’s Business Daily. His leadership resource website is www.johnbaldoni.com.
Search the full text of this book