How to Succeed in Business Using LinkedIn
Making Connections and Capturing Opportunities on the World's #1 Business Networking Site
Authors: Eric Butow, Kathleen Taylor
Pub Date: August 2008
Your Price: $19.95
Page Count: 256
Format: Paper or Softback
How to Succeed in Your Career Using LinkedIn
1. Network. LinkedIn is a social network for business people, so of course the #1 benefit of using the site is networking. However, instead of business cards with out-of-date information sitting in your Rolodex, you know what everyone is up to which makes staying in touch much easier.
2. Build a personal brand. It’s a big world out there so how will you set yourself apart from everyone else? Use LinkedIn to distinguish yourself building on your genuine skills and experience.
3. Stay on top of the latest trends. What easier way to know what’s going on in an industry than being connected to the people in it? Follow the “Answers” sections for the hot topics (and what most people are clueless about) and join industry groups for great discussions.
4. Showcase your expertise. Impress your current (or potential future) boss by answering questions, making introductions, and actively working on LinkedIn.
5. Expand your skill set. While you are demonstrating your expertise, you also have a chance to learn from others’. Read answers and join in discussions in your industry, but also related ones. It’s easier to understand a different department’s perspective when you are reading their questions.
6. Get help from your peers. Recommendations are a great way of building up relationships with people for now and for the future. Don’t be afraid to ask questions on LinkedIn; there are people out there with answers.
7. Discover new opportunities. People move on to bigger and better things and LinkedIn is a great way of discovering them. Whether it’s finding a new client or finding a new job, LinkedIn can connect you to the right people.
Adapted from How to Succeed in Business Using LinkedIn: Making Connections and Capturing Opportunities on the World’s #1 Business Networking Site by Eric Butow and Kathleen Taylor (AMACOM 2008).
Search the full text of this book